- Please attend 12:00 P.M. Mass on Sunday, January 29th, which will be followed by our Open House. It will begin at 1:00 P.M.
- This week is Catholic Schools Week; we have a week of fun events here at the Academy: A.Monday, January 3oth- Crazy Hat Day! B.Tuesday, January 31st-Decade Day! Dress to Impress in your favorite decade attire! C.Wednesday, February, 1st- 5-8 Grade Volleyball Game. D.Thursday, February 2nd- Student Appreciation Day- Pajama Day, Buddy Bingo, and Make Your Own Sundaes! E. Friday, February 3rd- Teacher Appreciation Day! 12:00 P.M. Dismissal
- Please continue to donate to our class link for Pennies for Patients! http://events.lls.org/pages/nyc/AveMariaCatholicAcademy-2017/jgiacalone
- THANKS TO ALL OF OUR DONATIONS FOR PENNIES FOR PATIENTS, WE CAME IN FIRST PLACE THIS WEEK AND EARNED A FREE DRESS DOWN ON MONDAY, JANUARY 31ST!
The students will begin their study of the English colonies. This week they will be focusing on the settlement of Jamestown. They will be describing the achievements of John Smith and John Rolfe and analyzing the ways the English colonists adapted to and modified their environment to meet their basic needs. Lastly, the students will be analyzing the various ways by which Jamestown was governed.
1/27: STUDY! Vocabulary Quiz- Thursday on the vocabulary words from “The Jamestown Colony” page 160.
1/30: Create a sentence and riddle for each of the vocabulary words on page 160.
STUDY! Vocabulary Quiz tomorrow ! Make sure you can put the words into well written sentences, and that your drawings depict the words.
1/31: The class will be taking a quiz on the vocabulary words from “The Jamestown Colony”.
2/1: Worksheet: “Roanoke Island’s Lost Colony”- Finish answering all of the questions. Then create five questions of your own.
The students will continue their study of ancient Egypt. This week they will be focusing on the Egyptian empire. They will exploring Egypt’s Golden Age: its conquests and their arts. They will be discussing why the New Kingdom was a unique period in ancient Egypt’s history; they will be examining what made Queen Hatshepsut unique, the growth of trade, and how the empire expanded. Lastly, the students will discuss King Tut’s reign and what made the empire decline.
1/27: Worksheet Packet: “Ancient Egypt”- Open Book Test- Tuesday. Make sure that you have good notes and that you review all of the material.
1/30: Worksheet Packet: Brief #5 “Hieroglyphs” pages 47-48. Read, highlight, and take notes.
REVIEW THE PACKET AND MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF YOUR NOTES ARE IN ORDER! TEST TOMORROW!
1/31: The class will be taken an open book test on the worksheet packet “Ancient Egypt”.
2/1: Worksheet: “Ancient Egypt Crossword Puzzle”
The students will begin their study of the American Revolution. They will be examining the importance and effect that the First and Second Continental Congresses had on the colonies. They will be discussing how armed conflict between British soldiers and colonists broke out with the “shot heard ‘round the world.” Lastly, the students will be analyzing the early battles of the war.
1/30: Chapter Review– page 105 #1-10 and Standardized Test Practice page 107 #s 1-5. This assignment will be collected and graded..
1/31: Finish creating riddles and sentences for the Key Terms and People on page 112.
The students will continue their study of the Progressive Era. This week they will be focusing on reforming the workplace. They will be discussing the attempts reformers made to improve conditions for child labor and how unions took steps to improve safety in the workplace. They will also be analyzing the effects that the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire had on establishing new laws for safety.
1/31: Create riddles and sentences for the Key Terms and People on page 670. Make sure that your illustrations are complete because the class will be playing Pick the Pic and the Sentence and Riddle Games on Friday.
2/1: Read and Outline: “Improving Conditions for Children” on pages 670-671. Then answer the questions below.
- What was the purpose of the National Consumers’ League?
- Why did some parents ask their employed children to lie about their ages?
History Close Up on page 672- Answer the Analyzing Visuals question.
This week, the students will be discussing the Israelites, their enslavement in Egypt, and the Exodus. They will be focusing on how God chose Moses to lead his people and how God guided his people to freedom.
1/30: Test signe and corrected.